Friday, November 21, 2008

Come sit for a spell

I met him again today or did I? The well known doctor is today an alzeimher patient. He adjusted his chair to get it exactly perpendicular to the porch. The disease had killed his memory but had not killed an innate attribute - perfection. He stared at me with the look that said " who are you?" I told him, " Grandpa, do you like it here? Do you want to come to Pune with us"? I spoke to him even though I knew he would not reply. He had stopped communicating for more than a year. He got up from his chair devoid of all emotion almost as if he had not heard me and stepped into the garden. I followed him knowing it was twilight and it would get dark soon.

2 comments:

Laura Jayne said...

As a person who has always struggled with memory issues your piece was emotionally stirring.

The last sentence in particular was so powerful.

the ego has landed said...

Many thanks. The subject is very close to my heart. The emotion that I feel, may have translated into words.